You can add and save a (encrypted, tokenized) card to a customer's Contact Profile so they don't have to provide their card information again for future payments with these steps:
1. Go to Contacts > View Contacts
2. Click Edit on the row for the customer you wish update
3. Select the customer's Payment Methods tab
4. Click Add New Credit Card
5. Enter the card information provided by the customer and click Add Card
6. Done! Now in the customer's Payment Methods tab you see the card has been saved.
Customer Payment Method on File Walkthrough
From Contacts > View Contacts, click Edit on the row for the customer you wish update.
Select the customer's Payment Methods tab
Click the Add New Credit Card button and enter the card information provided by the customer. Then click Add Card.
Done! Now in the customer's Payment Methods tab you see the card has been saved.
Setting the Payment Method on File Default
When there is only one card saved on file, it will be automatically considered the 'Default' payment method, as indicated by the toggle for that method's table row.
You can add more than one card on file from this page by clicking the Add New Credit Card button again.
The customer must tell you which of their methods saved on file they'd prefer as their Default method so you can change the Default toggle to the card they want to use for auto payments, future invoices, or virtual terminal charges.
Charging Customer with Payment Method Saved on File
Once a card is saved on file, you can charge the card with these steps:
1) Click the Charge action button in the card row on the Payment Methods tab.
2) A New Token Payment window will open. In it, enter the Amount to be charged, select a Product or Service name, (optionally) update the Order Number, and check over the contact details.
3) Click Save New Payment to run the charge right away or Authorize Only to hold the charge and process it later in a payment batch.
⚠️If you try to add a payment method that cannot be tokenized, a test only card number for example, you will see "This functionality is currently unavailable. Please contact customer service."
⚠️If you try to add a payment method and the site is not tokenization enabled, you would see an "This functionality is currently unavailable. Please contact customer service."